What is Middle and High School Ministry?
MaHSM is our efforts to help young people grow personally & spiritually in a safe, caring, and fun. The purpose of the MaHSM experience is to offer a place for teens to develop their relationship with God and other teens. This prepares them in positive, enriching ways that prepares them for dealing with situations in school, college, and beyond.
MaHSM is more than programs and events.
MaHSM takes different opportunities through various programs like Sunday School, Missions, Recreational Activies (RA), and Worship to reach out to the teens with the love of God as revealed to us in Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. It is an opportunity for both middle school and high school students to grow as individuals while exploring ideas, values, and faith within the context of a supportive community of peers and adults.
Our Recreational Activities (RA) work to foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person and seeks to draw young people into responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the faith community. It is about fun, faith, and friends, usually with a little food added to keep our engines going! It is a series of programs and activities to give young people a chance to participate in Church life, develop their own faith and spirituality, and discover new friendships.
2017-2018 Devotional and Teaching Time
Our devotional material this year will be based in the Bible, with our jumping off point as a book entitled, WEIRD: Because Normal Isn’t Working by Craig Groeschel. Each month we will take time to unpack the scriptures in the context of what it means to be a teenage in Jackson, NJ who follows Christ.
Many of the activities are intentional learning experiences from apple picking and maple sugaring to deeply spiritual learning experiences like the Midwinter Advance.
We also structure fun time to be inclusive, so no-one is left out or feels lonely. Plus, incorporating social skills and leadership principles within all of our fellowship experiences helps the youth to develop their faith in ways that not only changes them, but has the potential to change their homes, classrooms, schools and community. Think of Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts super-charged with the Holy Spirit.
2017-2018 Mission Activities
In the calendar (below and attached for printing) you will see a number of mission activities including Operation Christmas Child, Caroling to Shut-ins, serving at the Soup Kitchen and Food Pantry, helping with church yard clean-up.
2017-2018 Parents’ Responsibility
- Each event will need additional help. We have a Safe Sanctuaries policy which requires at least 2 non-related adults at each event.
- We will need dinners and drivers for many events.
- Encourage your teen/s to invite friends.
- Reinforce the concepts at home, certain things that everyone might think are normal aren’t Christian or biblical.
- Read the book listed above with your teen and you’ll know what we are teaching and have the information to reinforce the concepts at home.
- Fill out the registration form the next time you are there.
I will send out a sign-up genius each week we have an event, so please take 30 seconds and respond. It will help me tremendously to plan accurately. I will also list the events on youth facebook page (but don’t sign-up there, use sign-up genius).
- Operation Christmas Child – This is one of the biggest nights of the year for JUMC youth. During October and November, the church collects donations of small toys and supplies that get packed in shoeboxes. These shoeboxes get sent all over the world to children who have never received a Christmas gift or heard the word of God. Each year we pack over 120 shoeboxes, last year we packed 180. For more information, see samaritanspurse.org
- Sunday School – During the school year we have Middle School and High School classes, On the first Sunday of each month the classes attend worship as part of the educational experience.
- Vacation Bible School – VBS requires a lot of volunteers in helping lead groups of kids and helping with individual sessions. Everyone is invited to come and help, VBS usually occurs during the second week of July.